Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the gel I have found on my baby's skin?
Huggies Nappies contain a super absorbent ingredient called Polyacrylate, which is mixed in with the nappy padding. This material turns liquid into gel, helping prevent nappy leakage. Occasionally this safe, gel material will seep out of the pad and onto your baby's skin. The gel material is quite safe and will not harm your baby in any way.
Q. How do I remove the gel from my baby's skin?
If you notice a small amount of gel like material on your baby's skin simply remove it with a baby wipe or a damp washcloth.
Q. What are Huggies Nappies made from?
As you can imagine, Huggies nappies are made up of quite a few ingredients. They are broken down into the following:
- The padding inside Huggies nappies is made of a mixture of wood pulp and what we call Super Absorbent Material. The Super Absorbent Material is a polyacrylate crystal, which absorbs moisture and is the main absorbency material in our nappies. This turns into a gel, minor amounts of which can sometimes be found on your baby's skin during use. Don't worry it will not harm your child in any way.
- The nappies are held together by glue.
- Huggies have a cloth like outer cover.
- Inside the nappy below the liner, there is what's called a surge layer. This is made of polypropylene and polyethylene and helps with rapid absorption, spreading the urine equally throughout the nappy.
- There is no latex used at all in the manufacture process.
Q. Do Huggies nappies contain the anti bacterial ingredient Triclosan?
Triclosan, while commonly used in many other consumer products such as anti-bacterial soaps and toothpastes, is not used and has never been used in Huggies disposable nappies. In fact Huggies nappies are clinically proven to help prevent nappy rash and all ingredients and the components of our nappies are rigorously tested prior to use.
Q. What is the difference between boy and girl nappies?
Because boys and girls have different absorbency needs, Huggies Nappies are designed to have absorbency where your baby needs it the most. Boys produce a greater concentration of urine at the front of the nappy where girls have a relatively even distribution of urine with a slightly higher concentration in the middle to the back of the nappy. Huggies boy and girl nappies have been developed based on extensive testing with both Australian and New Zealand babies to maximise dryness and minimise leakage during the day and night for all babies.
Q. Why has my baby's nappy started to leak at night?
All our Huggies nappies are made to set design specifications. Most parents find the fit and performance of Huggies nappies are far better than any other brand on the market for their babies. That said we know every baby is very much an individual so the occasional leakage problem can occur.
The factors that can sometimes lead to leakage are the many movements your baby makes everyday, the quality of the nappy you use (Huggies nappies are the most absorbent nappies available), the nature of your baby's bowel and bladder habits and the size of the nappy your baby is wearing.
We are constantly striving to improve our nappies and prevent leakage altogether. To that end, Huggies nappies now feature a Stretch-to-fit Waist, so the nappy adjusts to your baby's shape, making it even more comfortable and secure for baby. Huggies nappies also feature dual leak guards, providing an extra layer of protection from messy leaks.
The weight range on each of our packs is a guide only and quite often moving to the next size up will stop the leakage issues.
Q. Do we make nappies for premature babies and where can you buy them?
You can view a full list of all retailers who sell Huggies Neo-Natal nappies here on our website or you can call Huggies Consumer Advisory Service on 1800 028 334 (Australia) for your nearest supplier, or send them an email.
Within the current Huggies range there is a Newborn Nappy designed for babies from birth up to 5kg in weight. Newborn nappies now have a Stretch-To-Fit waist band elastic which is designed for greater comfort and flexibility. This feature enables smaller babies to wear the Newborn nappy with greater ease and fit. Huggies Newborn Nappies are available through all major grocery, pharmacy and variety stores nationally.
Q. Please explain the weight range guide that appears on the Huggies Nappies packs.
Huggies Nappies are available in a range of sizes to suit every stage of development. Every Huggies Nappies pack features a weight range table to help parents select the most appropriate nappy for their baby. The weight chart is designed as a guide only with fit and comfort differing from child to child. This range is used as there is so much variation in baby's shape and build. This variance is reflected in the weight guide which shows a slight overlap between each of the sizes.
The Huggies range of nappies includes:
|Huggies Newborn||1||Up to 5kg|
|Huggies Infant||2||4 to 8kg|
|Huggies Crawler||3||6 to 11kg|
|Huggies Toddler||4||10 to 15kg|
|Huggies Walker||5||13 to 18kg|
|Huggies Junior||6||16kg and over|
See the products pages for more details.
Q. I have accidentally put a nappy in the washing machine, how do I remove it?
Huggies Nappies contain a super absorbent ingredient called Polyacrylate, which is mixed in with the nappy padding. This material turns liquid into gel which traps liquid in and helps prevent nappy leakage. In a machine wash the nappy would have absorbed an enormous amount of water. This combined with the washing action would have resulted in the nappy disintegrating into small pieces, most likely clumps.
You will need to clean both the washing machine and any clothes that were in the wash with the nappy. Firstly, remove any large particles that remain in the machine. Remove and clean the machine filter. Once the filter is back in place run a normal wash cycle with no clothing in the machine. If you like, add some anti-bacterial rinse to the cycle to eliminate any germs present.
Once the machine is clean, re-wash any clothes that have nappy particles on them. If any item of clothing is severely affected, wash it separately by hand and then re-wash it in the machine. Once again add some anti-bacterial rinse to the wash if you desire. Clean the washing machine filter again once the cycle is completed. If there are any remaining particles on your clothes remove them with a lint brush once the clothes are dry.
Q. What is the difference between Huggies and Snugglers
Huggies and Snugglers are both made by Kimberly-Clark Australia. The main differences between the brands are in terms of absorbency and features.
Huggies Nappies are the driest, most absorbent nappies available providing the very best care for your baby. In fact, Huggies Nappies are clinically proven to help prevent nappy rash.
All Huggies Nappies have the following features:
- Tailored for Boys and Girls (Infant to Junior sizes only) - absorbency needs are different for boys and girls. That's why Huggies® Nappies have absorbency where they need it most; in the front for boys and lower down for girls.
- Exclusive Absorbency System For Up To 12hrs Leakage Protection which instantly absorbs wetness and locks it into the core, keeping the surface of the nappy perfectly dry.
- Unique Soft and Secure Cushioned Side Shields designed to give superior protection from leaks and red marks around the legs while improving comfort for baby.
- Contoured-Shaped Fit around the legs and soft curved leg elastic for a more comfortable fit.
- Soft And Stretchy Waistband gently contours to your baby’s body for a comfortable and secure fit around the waist.
- Back Waistband Pocket to help protect against bowel movement leakages at the back.
- The Only Nappy Clinically Proven to Help Prevent Nappy Rash.
- The all-over highly breathable Breathe Dry® cover allows fresh air to circulate around your baby’s bottom, ensuring that your baby's delicate skin is kept dry and healthy. By keeping your baby’s bottom dry, only Huggies Nappies are clinically proven to help prevent nappy rash.
- Fun and Bright Winnie the Pooh & Friends Designs.
- Winnie the Pooh and Friends designs feature all over the nappy. Winnie the Pooh is bigger and brighter with green, blue and pink colour themes designed specifically for newborns, boys and girls!
Snugglers Nappies have been Australian parents’ favourite economy nappy for over 25 years. Snugglers Nappies provide a good level of performance at a lower price. They contain a lesser amount of absorbent material in the nappy core and have fewer features than Huggies Nappies.
All Snugglers Nappies have the following features:
- Soft cloth like cover.
- Ultra Trim design.
- Velcro style Grip Tabs.
- Twin leak guards.
Q. Can I buy Huggies Nappies overseas?
Huggies Nappies are manufactured and sold around the world and are readily available in many countries. Huggies Nappies are generally locally manufactured and developed according to the needs of the local market. For this reason, the features and absorbency levels may differ from country to country. Generally a premium, high performing Huggies Nappy is usually available and is likely to satisfy people familiar with the Australia/New Zealand product.
The Huggies Nappies manufactured in Australia are available in New Zealand, and some of the Pacific Islands including Fiji, PNG, Nauru, Tonga, Samoa and Vanuatu.The imported product is easily recognised because its packaging differs from that used in Australia in both colour and design. To be sure you are purchasing Australian made Huggies Nappies, please look for the packs featured below, and on our product range (Huggies Product Range) pages.
If you have any queries, please contact our consumer advisory service.
Q. What’s the DryTouch Layer made from?
Our DryTouch Layer is made from polyester blend, similar to what would be found in everyday clothing.
Back to top