Baby Doll Nursery
Age: toddler, child
Skill for Bub: Muscle Builder, Just for fun, Mind Builder
A practical way to help prepare your older child for a new addition to the family.
Bringing a new baby home is a big change for everyone, especially for older brothers or sisters. After all, it’s they who now have to share your love and attention. You can help prepare your child for the family’s newest member by setting up a pretend nursery.
- Use large cardboard boxes, small towels, and blankets as a changing table and bassinet. (Or play carefully with the real furniture.)
- Fill the nursery with a few bottles, diapers, wipes, and lotions. (Avoid ointments since they tend to get very messy.)
- Present your child with a new doll as a big sister or big brother gift. Embellish the game by saying, “Congratulations! You are now a big sister (brother)! Will you help me to change, feed, and play with the baby?”
- Show your child how to care for the baby, spending extra time practicing any task that she or he might actually do when the real time comes, such as handing you a diaper.
- Remind your child what a great helper she or he is.
- When it’s time to put the doll down for a nap, reward your child with lots of affection, plus a special snack that only a big sister or brother is allowed to eat.