Shoebox Shape Sorter
Age: toddler, parent
Skill for Bub: Just for fun, Hand/eye coordination, Mind builder, Muscle builder
Make use of extra blocks with a homemade toy that teaches your baby all about colours and shapes.
Sorters are great for helping babies learn how to identify different shapes and colors. This easy-to-make version allows you to design your own.
- Cover a shoebox in brightly colored wrapping paper.
- Trace a variety of block shapes on the lid of the box and cut them out.
- Hold up a block and ask your child, “Where does the (shape and color of the block) go?”
- Help your child to push the blocks through the correct holes.
- Once all of the shapes have been identified, take the lid off and allow your child to dump out the blocks — a reward in itself!