Make a foil bauble
Age: toddler, child
Skill for Bub: Muscle builder, Hand eye coordination, Just for fun, Making memories, Mind builder, Parties and Celebrations
Create your own Christmas baubles with the kids.
This is great activity which involves all the things kids love to play with like glue and paint. It’s also good for their coordination as they practise squashing and rolling the foil into a ball shape.
You will need the following:
- One roll of aluminium foil (buy the cheapest one you can find)
- String, left over ribbons or knitting wool
- White or light coloured tissue paper
- Bright coloured tissue paper – optional
- Glue and paint brush
- Acrylic paints
- Decorative items like stickers, glitter glue, sequence, small beads etc…
- Cut lots and lots of long strips of foil measuring approximately 10cm x 20cm.
- Cut several pieces of string or ribbon measuring approximately 30cm long.
- Take one piece of string and fold it in half. Take one piece of foil and wrap it around the string. Keep squeezing the shape until it becomes quite small and resembles a small ball.
- Wrap more strips around the ball one at a time. Make sure they are wrapped nice and tight so the ball keeps its form. Keep adding until you are happy with the size of the ball.
- Tear the white tissue paper into small strips. Brush glue all over the foil and add bits of tissue paper one at a time until the ball is fully covered and relatively smooth.
- You have 2 choices at this point. Either:
A) Brush glue all over the foil and add bits of brightly coloured tissue paper one at a time until the ball is fully covered and relatively smooth OR
B) Wait for the ball to dry and use the acrylic paints to colour the ball.
- Here is the fun part – decorate the ball with any items you have at home like sequence, beads, stickers, pom poms, glitter glue etc…
Note – if all the gluing is putting you off this project you can always buy some polystyrene balls and skip steps 1 to 5. Simply make a small hole in the polystyrene ball using a ball point pen. Place a bit of glue on the end of the string and insert the string into the opening. Continue on to decorate the ball as detailed in steps 6 and 7.