Smiles & Frowns Lift-the-Flap Book
Age: baby, toddler, parent
Skill for Bub: Hand/eye coordination, Just for fun, Mind Builder
Your child will love discovering who’s behind the pages of this custom-made children’s book.
If your baby loves to look at pictures of other babies, here’s one book he’s sure to treasure: a personalised lift-and-look book using photographs of your child and his best baby pals. Bonus! The action of lifting the flaps is a great way to boost fine motor skills.
Put Together the Picture Book
- Gather an assortment of 5 × 7 photographs that capture a variety of feelings (e.g. happy, sad, and sleepy).
- Glue each image to the center a piece of 8 × 10 white poster board or cardboard.
- Cover each page with another piece of poster or cardboard.
- Use a box cutter to cut a flap in each of the top sheets of paper so that the photographs can be revealed. (You can also cut out the entire rectangle and use fabric to create a curtain instead.)
- Vary the folds so that some open side to side and others up or down. Be sure to cut a small semi-circle in each flap for easy opening.
- Glue each top and bottom boards together to create one page.
- Decorate each page and add text to the bottom of each page, such as “Who is smiling today?” “Who is feeling happy?” “Who is feeling tired?”
- Use three binder rings to fasten the pages together.