Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. school aged kids, school holidays and fulltime work

school aged kids, school holidays and fulltime work Rss

so eventually this will be happening to me, and i have been wondering what other people do.

when there are 2 parents both working full time, and the school holidays roll around, what happens with the kids? do they go into child care for those few weeks/over the summer holidays? does either parent have time off work through the year - although there wouldn't be enough to cover all the holidays so that obviously doesn't work for the whole year.

what do you do? (those of you that work full time)

We will probably find ourselves in this situation next year when DD1 goes off to school. I think for us the easiest thing will be to enroll her into a school holiday program catering for whatever sporting activity or hobby she is into at the time. I think daycare type programs are fun but i'd rather her to spend the time doing something she is passionate about if we aren't going to be doing anything special in that time and they usually cost around the same amount anyway. For mid semester breaks we may even consider flying her up to stay with the grandparents for a week and take a few days off each the other week.
When the time comes, my sister and I will be helping each other out. When she takes a week off she'll have my kids at her place and vice versa. I also plan on doing this with some of my friends so we can all help each other out. The rest of the time I'll have to use school holiday care programs.
When I was working DD1 went to vacation care. She loved it there. They had activities and went on excursions. Every holidays was based around a different theme. She also went to before and after school care at the same place so knew everybody.

When I was working DD1 went to vacation care. She loved it there. They had activities and went on excursions. Every holidays was based around a different theme. She also went to before and after school care at the same place so knew everybody.

that will probably be the sort of thing i will look into i think. is vacation care covered under the child care benefit? i have no idea how all that works having never used child care before. i don't even know if we would be eligible.

Yes vacation care is covered by child care benefit. It about $30-$40 a day and you normally provide their food
That's what I always worried about, so now I'm a teacher and I will have my holidays (paid grin )at the same time as them.

DH has just started a 4yr combined Degree course and will be a teacher at the end of it, so we will ALL have our holidays together smile

I know it doesn't answer your question tho...

I guess if circumstances were different we'd probably look at child care, vacation care and Grandparents..

Yes vacation care is covered by child care benefit. It about $30-$40 a day and you normally provide their food

The centre my girls go to is $50-$55 a day for vacation care.
As a kid my mum used to take one week of each holidays off and then the other week I would stay at the beach with my pop if it was summer, or melbourne with my nana... I loved it

As a kid my mum used to take one week of each holidays off and then the other week I would stay at the beach with my pop if it was summer, or melbourne with my nana... I loved it

that sounds like fun!

my mum went back to work full time when i was about 6 and my sister was 12, so she used to just leave us at home on our own, i guess they figured my sister was old enough to look after me. i don't know that i would be happy doing that though. times have changed a bit!

no help for you from me, dh is a teacher so we dont have that drama.I do not work and dont plan to, any time soon - dh tells his friends I am 'retired' lol.My parents used to have a business.Mum would take us to the grandparents in the holidays druring the year but at xmas they closed the buiness for 4-5 weeks.I would mind my sisters from about 13 yrs of age.Vacation care might be the best option for you.As for times changing, its probably better now with mobile phones.I have left my kids home alone ( only 1 at a time) when I have had a doctors appointment etc when the kids have been home sick from school from 9 yrs of age but would not trust them all together atm( maybe never lol )

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

i think i'm the lucky one i work afternoons 4pm to 2am my other half work days 6am to 4pm so nan steps in for the 2hrs in between and solves all my problems to do with child care at all and nan's don't cost anything but love.
Sign in to follow this topic