Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. Potty training a 6 month old? can it be done? Any tips? HELP!

Potty training a 6 month old? can it be done? Any tips? HELP! Rss

Posted by: OC1246
In most other cultures they do not let their babies sit in a piece of plastic for their own convenience. They take their baby to the toilet when needed.

I don't think anyone would just send their toddler off to the toilet by themselves when they need to go for "convenience". Even when they are toilet trained, you still need to take them to help them. My niece at 5 yrs of age still asked her mum to go to the toilet with her!

Most people are just saying they won't be toilet trained in the true sense of the word at 6 mths of age. Is a 6 mth old going to hold on if you're out of the house and can't get to a toilet quickly? As most people mentioned, there's nothing wrong with sitting them on a potty and letting them watch you but it's not going to be true toilet training at this age. We did this when our son was 12 mths old - not really to toilet train, just to get him used to the idea.
[Edited on 16/09/2009]
I am talking about nappies for convenience. In other cultures the parents listen to their babies cues and let their baby go when needed. The OP was asking about tt as their bub is uncomfortable in dirty nappies. Of course a 6 month old can't take themselves to the toilet - but that is different to knowing they need to go and being able to wait those few seconds for mum to get their pants off. I guess if people are being fanatical about the definition of what tt is, then a 6 month old can't be tt by western standards.
People who use elimination communication practice it outside the home as well as inside. Its all about knowing your baby and when they are likely to go and being prepared to listen to them.

From the day I took DD home from the hospital - she never did poos in her nappy! She hated it and you could see her holding on rather than go in her nappy - then nappy off, woah poo everywhere!!
Lots of people told me I should try as early as 6 months but unfortunately I'd put a potty on layby with a heap of other toys.
At 10 months I had my potty - thought what the hay, tyring's not going to hurt. Let her play with it for a while with a bare bum - she eventually did wee's on the tiles and I said "that's supposed to go in the potty" she thought about this - then sat on the potty and did a poo. I cheered! and she has done most of her poos on the potty since (most of the misses are when we're out and she doesn't know where to go and obviously can't hold on - although they're also usually just a little tiny poo and she holds on to the rest for later) - we've found wee's harder! She sometimes takes herself to the potty for wee's - but misses a lot as well.
She's 18 months now and I'm sure if I really knuckled down to it - she would be TT for wee's as well.
I found a fold up toilet training seat from Kmart that is easier to take out and about - so I might introduce this to her soon and if she know's that's in my bag, hopefully she'll be able to indicate she needs to go wherever we are.
Anyway - good luck! Keep us updated - and sorry about the long post.
I'm also considering early training, my son (first child) is 12 weeks old. It actually makes a lot of sense to me that it would become 'normal' for him instead of introducing something new and unsettling to a toddler. Also, cloth nappies (which I love!) give him the most heart-breaking nappy rash and the thought of using thousands of disposable nappies in the next few years horrfies me - no nappy at all seems the best solution.

I'm hoping to start him around 4-5months old but I'd love some stories and tips from parents who have done it - whether it was successful or not. I understand it will be intensive for me as he obviously can't move himself but he is aware enough and uncomfortable in a dirty or wet nappy to start making the right associations if I sit him on a potty at the right times.

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
this was on the news today which I found rather interesting...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/8827996/Nappy...

that is interesting. smile

how cute is that little face!!!
I actually started training my baby to use the potty at 18 months. I think 6 months is too early. But then you can still expose him on when and how to use the potty. And by the time comes that he is ready enough, you won't have a hard time introducing the potty anymore. If you want you can actually try this app - Potty training learning with the animals. It is fun and I hope it can help. smile
I think at age of 6 months is not perfect. We started when he was 23 months. we started playing a lot of games in the potty, also dowloaded and play a lot with the app potty training learning with the animals to sensibilize him....then few days later, we took away his cloth for 3 days...and then he learned!
6 months isn't to early to introduce potty. its fairly easy to put your child on the potty either before bed/naps or after sleeps. There is no reason to wait because some people say it's to early. Parents should start when they/ kids are ready. Also introducing potty doesn't mean they are fully toilet trainined at 6months. Obviously toilet training takes a long time.
Hi all,

We had a similar situation with our daughter but 6 months does seem too young. Signs of control are important ie sleeping through and waking with a dry nappy. Again 6 - 12 months is very young but look for the signs to evaluate their development level. See good free advice from a paediatrician on reading signs here http://howtopottytrainagirl.org/
This is old post I know. But don't listen to these people! My mom potty trained my brother and I when were were 5 months! As soon as we were able to sit down well. By the time were were 8 months we no longer liked using diapers. My mom said I would cry and wouldn't like to pee in my diapers at that age so she would have to carry the little toilet when we would go out of town lol Many people teach their kids at 6 months. 2 years old is the age where I tell myself "well I would hope the baby knows ! lol" Like " My kid finally walks and she's 5!" "Well I would hope so! lol Or else I would be concerned!" lol But every child is different therefore my family uses the "If they can sit then it's time" rule. Just wanted to comment because it bothered me that people were saying "6 months is way too young" When my brother and I were already out of diapers by the time we were 1 years old.
This is old post I know. But don't listen to these people! My mom potty trained my brother and I when were were 5 months! As soon as we were able to sit down well. By the time were were 8 months we no longer liked using diapers. My mom said I would cry and wouldn't like to pee in my diapers at that age so she would have to carry the little toilet when we would go out of town lol Many people teach their kids at 6 months. 2 years old is the age where I tell myself "well I would hope the baby knows ! lol" Like " My kid finally walks and she's 5!" "Well I would hope so! lol Or else I would be concerned!" lol But every child is different therefore my family uses the "If they can sit then it's time" rule. Just wanted to comment because it bothered me that people were saying "6 months is way too young" When my brother and I were already out of diapers by the time we were 1 years old.
Sign in to follow this topic