Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Gifted Toddlers Rss

I have a 2year Old Girl shes very intelligent she no the alphabet can count to 10 knows her shapes colours no's 100's of words etc.. very active up all day, we live on the kapiti coast but we cant find any parent groups for gifted children, i would love to meet other moms with gifted children from around this area would be great to hear from any moms

Thanks Brittany
No offence, but just becuase your daughter can do those things doesnt mean she is gifted. If you think she is, there are tests you can do to have her assesed, for schooling etc. My daughter is not 2 yet, she can count to 10, knows lots of words, can recognise letteres on sight..but i dont think she is gifted..she is just an average toddler who is like a sponge soaking up everything she can

also assuming she is an only child at this stage and you are spending time doing all these things with your child. This is rote learning. Children learn more in their first five years than the rest of their lives.

So far your child seems normal to me of any child that has plenty of time one on one with a parent teaching them this. I would suggest play groups and other activities that involve children.

Even if your child is gifted if she doesn't know how to play along side other children or have fun or make friends it can make for a lonely life. Join a playgroup, swimming lessons etc.

One word of advice, I wouldn't go announcing to friends and family that you think she is gifted its one way that people will roll their eyes and advoid you.... all children are special and gifted to you the parent,

if you want to advance her more take her to the library and most of all have fun with your wee girl.... all children are pretty even in the brains department by the time they hit 7 years.....
My just gone 2 yr old is the same, can say shapes, colours, lots of objects and count to ten, recognise some numbers and letters. Also says lots of words and sentences. I personally think its normal, she is a smart little cookie....but normal. smile
And like subzero said, she is our only child so she certainly does get lots of attention! I work 1.5 days a week, but she is with grandparents and again they of course shower her with attention!!
Plus, I do have to agree with subzero again with saying she is gifted, I think if you say that, it will get people off side and set you and your bubba up for an awkward and uncomfortable time with other parents and kidlets.
But as far as stuff to do with your little girl.....I just read lots to mine and do colouring and crafty type stuff with her. We go to the library once a week and swimming lessons once a week and she goes to mainly music and sunday school so she gets to spend time with other kiddies her age and is only just now starting to interact with them. Plus we have play dates here and there with friends with kiddies of preschool age.
Good luck!! isn't it amazing watching them develop and take everything in!

I have a 2year Old Girl shes very intelligent she no the alphabet can count to 10 knows her shapes colours no's 100's of words etc.. very active up all day, we live on the kapiti coast but we cant find any parent groups for gifted children, i would love to meet other moms with gifted children from around this area would be great to hear from any moms

Thanks Brittany

I would have to agree with the other mums that she sound like she is developing within the normal range. Language development has always been my sons weakest area of development and at 2yrs 6months he can do all the things you have listed. It may turn out that she is gifted but I think it is really too early to tell. You may find language development slows down as she advances in another area. It is great you are proud of her and it sounds like you are doing a great job teaching. Just keep doing what you are doing.
I also agree with all the other mums posts. And when you say 2, are we talking just turned 2, 2.5 almost 3? She may be a little advanced or she may be normal. I know a lot of 2 year olds that can do this. Like other mums have said. There brains are like sponges at this age. And the more time that is spent one on one with the child the more they are going to learn.
My ds is 2 years 5 months. He can almost count to 20, says parts of the alphabet. Has very good speech were we can have long conversations of up to 6 sentences and knows hundreds of words. identify almost any picture in a book, loves reading and very sporty. Can swim and dive into a pool. But his dad and I are very sporty people so he is always outdoors and in the water. He also goes to kindy 3 days a week and learns so much from other kids and his teachers.
I don't think our son is gifted, although we have always had comments thrown at us that he is 'gifted'. But I always say, oh thank you. He is a smart cookie. Then try and brush it off as I don't like people to say he is or think he is. All other kids eventually catch us to the others!!!
omg Kapiti coast....me 2!!! finally i've found someone nearby!!

i have an almost 7month old DS, who is overly active haha.

i live down the beach behind the gof course.
do you only have the one child?
my name is Deanne and im 21 in just under 3 weeks.....yay!! grin

feel free to pm me if you like
You often hear on this forum about 'gifted'children. I would love to hear how they turned out in the future. I wonder if the kids who could recite the alphabet at 2, and count to 500 at 3, ended up being the doctors, lawyers etc, or, were they just seen as gifted through their parents eyes, as flash cards were pushed onto them from the day they were born, so really were just an average student.

Don't get me wrong, I think education begins at home, but I think reading every day, playing shops/doctors etc, colouring, play dough and just plain talking, is much more beneficial than flash cards, and reciting alphabets and seeing how high you can count....how boring.

As someone else mentioned, toddlers/preschoolers have amazing memories. So, with constant repetition, you can teach a kid anything. True 'genius', is understanding, and working out number patterns themselves. For example, at say 18 months, your child could count to 10, but by themselves, they said after 10 came '10 1'. They realise that the next number is 10 plus 1. They are not just being a parrot, but truly understand from an extremely young age.

Eve75

I think that to say your child is gifted is right! any parent that spends time teaching their child as you obviously have, will have a child who is above average. I think it is stupid of the other mums to make it a competition and say "that's not gifted that is normal, MY child can do that too and I don't have a big head and am going around saying they are gifted."

Has anyone ever heard of Tall Poppy Syndrome? Sounds like everyone has it to me.

How can we expect our children to be proud of their achievements and defy the negativity they will get from others their whole life, if we are always downplaying their talents? There is no need to downplay their talents, just say "thanks for noticing" or "i am proud of his/her achjievements".

I believe my daughter to be gifted, she is the oldest of 3 and will be 3 ion 3 months. she has known her colours etc since before 2 and has just sounded out her first word yesterday! mess. typical

by today's standards that is definitely gifted. most parents these days do not even bother reading or talking to their kids, they eat junk, spend most of their time in daycare and half the day watching tv. any child who is brought up to love to learn is, in my opinion, gifted.

kindy teachers spend half their time trying to being the weaker kids up to "normal", seeing as most are considered below average these days

i wish i lived near you and your daughter! i live in WA unfortunately

some advice:
don't teach her the alphabet, teach her what sound each letter makes. then she can start to sound out and recognise sounds about the place

are you actually having a go at who? the mums who suggested play groups and socializing as well ... or the rote learning .... I am not sure....

some people don't know that that is just as important as your child being fantastic at spelling.... but for me the most important thing for her is for her to be able to make friends, its a lonely life with no friends and you can do anything if you have the ability to communicate with peers and make friends.

By the way..... I am a pre school teacher NZAQ have my reg.... children in day care don't actually sit and rock banging their heads on the floor all day you know. eating crap and drinking cans of coke. Get off your soap box. no one actually said the child wasn't gifted. all children are gifted in some way. its just that I know my child is but at the moment she is too busy rocking in the corner tramisised by junk food and day care

I think that to say your child is gifted is right! any parent that spends time teaching their child as you obviously have, will have a child who is above average. I think it is stupid of the other mums to make it a competition and say "that's not gifted that is normal, MY child can do that too and I don't have a big head and am going around saying they are gifted."

Has anyone ever heard of Tall Poppy Syndrome? Sounds like everyone has it to me.

How can we expect our children to be proud of their achievements and defy the negativity they will get from others their whole life, if we are always downplaying their talents? There is no need to downplay their talents, just say "thanks for noticing" or "i am proud of his/her achjievements".

I believe my daughter to be gifted, she is the oldest of 3 and will be 3 ion 3 months. she has known her colours etc since before 2 and has just sounded out her first word yesterday! mess. typical

by today's standards that is definitely gifted. most parents these days do not even bother reading or talking to their kids, they eat junk, spend most of their time in daycare and half the day watching tv. any child who is brought up to love to learn is, in my opinion, gifted.

kindy teachers spend half their time trying to being the weaker kids up to "normal", seeing as most are considered below average these days

i wish i lived near you and your daughter! i live in WA unfortunately

some advice:
don't teach her the alphabet, teach her what sound each letter makes. then she can start to sound out and recognise sounds about the place

I think the advice on here was not being nasty, rather, just truthful. There is nothing worse than a mother raving on about how 'gifted' a child is...except if they are actually just a normal kid. I would assume she is not mixing with other kids, otherwise, it would be obvious these are usual skills. Therefore, I think a playgroup would be extremely beneficial for basic play skills.

'Tall poppy syndrome'??? Don't think so. All kids are clever creatures. But announcing to the world that a child is 'gifted', isn't that just trying to big note yourself? Let them be kids and have fun, without trying to label them, and force them into early 'special schools'.

Just an example about how mothers like to think their own kids are cleverer than others. Im my dd's kindy class, a mother complained the puzzles were too easy for her son, and she wanted something harder. The next day, I happened to notice, this mother was doing the puzzle... the son was not even touching the thing. As parents, we can sometimes be a bit one eyed, and only see things through rose coloured glasses. While it's wonderful to be supportive, it's another thing to be pushy, and gloat.

Eve75

Eve75, you help to illuminate my point when you say "isn't that trying to just bignote yourself?". The reason I have an issue here is that, why should someone else's child being clever personally insult anyone else?

it has nothing to do with anyone else and that is what i mean when i see Tall Poppy. everyone is annoyed someone is confident in their child, wihtout even considering what it is they are actually trying to say

Doesn't insult me at all. Just think the term gifted is used excessively, and can only do a kid harm by calling them that. I choose to keep my kids skills to myself and family. I don't believe in advertising it to other mothers as this really is only done to boost your own self esteem, as really your saying what a good job as a mother you must be doing.

2 year olds, no matter how bright they are, learn through play. This can be done at a local park. No need to go to a school for the gifted.

Eve75

Coming from a mum who's child struggles alot and we are going through therapy because of it. I feel like I have done something wrong when child who is 2 can do alot more than my 3 and a half year old can.

To the OP you don't need to find a gifted playgroup any is fine it's for play and fun Just keep doing what your doing. Your doing a great job.
Sign in to follow this topic