Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

I need a new washing machine UPDATED Rss

oh right...okay....didnt even think about the soaking option - I do that all the time.

Mine does that for me - has a station called 'prewash' or something. I used to wash MCN's too smile

I wouldn't get a drier and washer in one for a family personally - it would be so annoying, having to wait for a load to finish drying to put in more washing, and vice versa smile Plus I like my drier being outside as it just creates too much moisture and mould when it's inside.

ETA that my machine cost $800 - Harvey Norman was having a half price sale as there was a new model that had just come out. Apparantly (so the salesman told us) the dial was a bit fancier - it was the same machine inside. Keep an eye out for specials and sales smile

Keep an eye out for specials and sales smile

The Brisbane Home Show is on this weekend so its actually perfect timing! grin
I have a pre wash function too.... but it just isn't like the old top loader... sad

Is OVER rude people

My mum had one of the HUGE old school TL and loved it, you know the ones with the big agitator and dial as described above by a PP. It died and wasn't worth fixing so they brought a fang dangle new TL, it only had a small or no agitator (can't remember) and my dad's work clothes NEVER came out clean, he's a concrete cutter and the TL just didn't do the job.

They've since brought a FL and love it, it cleans so much better...

Depending on how much i put in my FL, i sometimes still open it to add items, also depending on how far into the wash it is of course and how much water is in the machine smile and not all washes take forever. I wash bedding & towels etc on either 60 or 95 degree washes with 2 rinses and i think the longest is 2hrs. Clothes are washed on 30 or cold water with 2 rinses and the max washing time is about 1hr 15mins, sometimes 1hr 30mins depending on which option i use.

We have an Ariston front loader and I love it. I can shove anything I want in it including woollen jumpers.

Towels to come out of front loaders a bit stiff but when I pull them in from the line I put them in the dryer for a coupple of minutes and they fluff back up.

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

I wash bedding & towels etc on either 60 or 95 degree washes with 2 rinses and i think the longest is 2hrs. Clothes are washed on 30 or cold water with 2 rinses and the max washing time is about 1hr 15mins, sometimes 1hr 30mins depending on which option i use.

This might be a pathetically ignorant question, but does your washing machine have a heating element to heat the water up to 95 degrees...similar to a dishwasher???

Sorry that's probably a really stupidly obvious question but I've not bought a washing machine before....still using the hand-me-down one from mum tongue

This might be a pathetically ignorant question, but does your washing machine have a heating element to heat the water up to 95 degrees...similar to a dishwasher???

Sorry that's probably a really stupidly obvious question but I've not bought a washing machine before....still using the hand-me-down one from mum tongue

Don't worry i was very confused when my dad hooked up my machine and only connected it to the cold water tap blink it wasn't until i read a sticker on the front of the machine that stated it had an internal heating element to heat the water lol. So to answer your question, no your not ignorant and yes it does tongue

Well I lived in the land of TL's, and after having both, personally think they suck! laugh Swore I'd never have a FL..but that's pretty much all you can get in Europe so FL it was and they are soooo much better.

I still don't understand the whole "but you can't add things you've forgotten if you have a FL"...don't know about anyone else but I generally do a minimum of 3 loads a day so plenty of opportunity to get that forgotten sock, shirt etc in a wash somewhere.

Our FL is a Bosch, and other than recently having to replace the brushes on it, it's 8 years old and moved from one side of the world to the other with us AND several house moves since we've been in NZ. Yes it can take up to 90 minutes to do a wash, but there are shorter cycles and the newer models have new fangled 'add items' buttons and 'quick' washes that take about 30-45 minutes. We wouldn't hesitate having another Bosch..though have heard great things about Miele as well. No good telling you what we paid for it because it's not relevant but new 7kg+ Bosch ones are selling here for about NZ$1,000-1,200.

On the washer/dryer combo front.......we had one loaned to us once and it was horrible! Everyone I know who has one says they wished they'd got a separate washer and dryer.

yep our machine only hooks up to the cold water and heats the water up itself.

i never thought i would like a FL but i actually prefer it now. it doesn't bother me that the cycles are longer, i find the clothes get washed a lot better. before the one we have, we had an LG top loader and everything would always have undissolved washing powder all over it, and the clothes always ended up with heaps of fluff on them and needed to be cleaned with one of those pet hair brushes before ironing. annoying! we haven't ever had that with the FL unless we put a towel in with the clothes accidentally lol

we got ours when i was first pregnant and i was quite far along at the time, and i worried it would kill my back, but it didn't really!

yeah it is annoying that you can't add things to it once its going, but now i just make sure i sort everything into two piles and go from there so everything is already in the laundry.

I have a 7kg Electrolux Front Loader..and I love it though. It has a heap of different washes, I use the 1 hr one and the clothes come out great, they are a lot 'dryer' when they come out compared to a TL. Mine has a child lock on it, and you can also stop it onces its started to put the "last forgotten item" in. It uses heaps less water and power than my TL. I have an almost 2 year old and have never had any problems with her. I keep the door of it open after a wash to dry it out, for about 30 mins or so, then its shut and locked so she can't get in. After the Rebate (which I think has finished now) it only cost me $350 as I bought it on special smile

I have a 7kg Electrolux Front Loader..and I love it though. It has a heap of different washes, I use the 1 hr one and the clothes come out great, they are a lot 'dryer' when they come out compared to a TL. Mine has a child lock on it, and you can also stop it onces its started to put the "last forgotten item" in. It uses heaps less water and power than my TL. I have an almost 2 year old and have never had any problems with her. I keep the door of it open after a wash to dry it out, for about 30 mins or so, then its shut and locked so she can't get in. After the Rebate (which I think has finished now) it only cost me $350 as I bought it on special smile

Oh, and unrelated to the actual washing machine itself but on the point of washing powder. I was told to use 1/2-3/4 less than what is recommended on the box as it's far to much so i do that now - 1. your saving money on washing powder as your not using as much and 2. our clothes are just as clean and NEVER end up with undissolved washing powder on them smile

Sign in to follow this topic