Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

I need a new washing machine UPDATED Rss

I need a new machine. I've not had a top loader before so know nothing about them. I dont mind TL or FL.

What machine do you have, what do you recommend - the good the bad and the costs too.

cheers everyone smile

Rach
I should have mentioned I do at least one load of washing a day. I also wash nappies (not sure if that makes a difference???).

The TL I have is ancient and definately NOT water saving at all.
I always swore I'd never get a front loader. But my TL died after being on an uneven surface at our old house (floorboards) and I used to go mental at how often it would 'unbalance'. So I gritted my teeth and bought a Bosch FL - have had it 12 months and I love it. I think our clothes come out so much cleaner, and iot is much gentler on them too (which is very important for MCN!). Would not go back to a TL now - even though we have had a few phones and iPods go through..we always did even with the TL but it is rather aggravating to have to listen to it thunking around for 45 mins before you can open the door and fish it out lol lol laugh My FL uses 56L per wash - opposed to 140 odd with my old TL.
Ive got a fisher & pykel TL 9.5kg (i wash a lot, and have a lot of greasy, heavy mechanic clothes to wash). Its an enviro model and has the smart water thing, only fills it as needed. But it still doesnt have a great water or electricity rating.
I love it but it wasnt cheap, around $900 two years ago.

Jack ''08 & Bump ''10

LOVE my FL grin! I have Samsung 7kg machine that uses approx 60L of water per wash, love it smile. With it only being me and the boys, i do probably 4-5 loads per week most weeks though only 3-4 loads.

Have fun shopping smile

I think my TL uses about 120l per wash.....eeeeek! gasp
I have a TL. It has the same stuff as a front loader or something like that lol. The guy said to use top loader washing stuff when washing etc. I love the Fuzzy button. Press the button and it weighs the clothes, I set the child lock and off I go.
I wouldnt get a front loader with the littlies, scares the bejeebies out of me.
ooooh forgot to ask if anyone has one of those really expensive fantangled washer/dryer in one????? Are they any good?
If we hadn't built our kitchen/laundry to suit a front loader I would go back to a top loader any day!

I loved hearing the swish swish swish swish as the agitator turned.... lol A front loader just doesn't have the same effect.

A front loader is more energy efficient though, but won't last you as long as a top loader. So all your money saved may just be spent on buying a new front loader earlier than you expected.

I HATE that you can't open the door to throw that one last item in.....grrrr..... drives me nuts

Also, every now and the before I was ready to put the old top loader through a good old clean, I would throw all the joggers in there and give them a good wash..... you can't do that with a front loader....

Unless you already have a cupboard, front loaders sit on the floor, I have a bad back and found it too painful to have the machine sitting on the floor so we bought a proper pedestal cabinet to go under it.

Is OVER rude people

You know what I miss the most about my top loader...... pulling the dial out to stop the machine and letting the load sit in a full bowl of water to soak! It just isn't the same with a front loader. They use so little water that you just don't have that facility. Yes mine has a stain function and what not, but it just isn't the same sad sad sad sad sad

Is OVER rude people

We had an NEC 8kg top loader. It was a bubble washer and it washed really well and I was able to wash big items (doona's etc) with no dramas as it had no central agitator, probably wasn't terribly efficient water wise but it was very gentle on clothing.

It got damaged in our last move and we splashed out and bought an 7kg Asko front loader for $1600. It was meant to be the ducks nuts but I'm a bit disappointed in it. It cleans really well and is very water efficient. I rarely have to use stain remover these days. But it's very rough on things like t-shirts and tracky daks. They all pill.

The wash cycle takes forever and I can't wash anywhere near as much per load. But I do love that I can wash sheets etc on 95 degrees and select my spin speed but I'm sure there are other cheaper machines that have these features too.

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

You know what I miss the most about my top loader...... pulling the dial out to stop the machine and letting the load sit in a full bowl of water to soak! It just isn't the same with a front loader. They use so little water that you just don't have that facility. Yes mine has a stain function and what not, but it just isn't the same sad sad sad sad sad

oh right...okay....didnt even think about the soaking option - I do that all the time.
Sign in to follow this topic